Last year, Google released a new policy that stopped apps from unnecessarily accessing privacy-sensitive SMS and Call Log data. Google confirms that there is a 98% decrease in apps that access SMS and Call Log data. On the other hand, the remaining 2% is comprised of apps that require SMS and Call Log data to perform their core function.
The company also said that one of the best ways to protect users from bad apps is to keep those apps out of the Play Store in the first place. Also, the improved vetting mechanisms stopped over 790,000 policy-violating app submissions before they were ever published to the Play Store.
The company also claims that it launched a refreshed Google Play Protect experience, the built-in malware protection for Android devices. Google Play Protect scans over 100 billion apps every day, providing users with information about potential security issues and actions they can take to keep their devices safe and secure.
Google has also confirmed that this year it will focus on strengthening app safety policies to protect user privacy, faster detection of bad actors and clocking repeat offenders and detecting and removing apps with harmful content and behaviours.
Recently, Google revealed that it paid $6.5 million in rewards, around Rs 46.4 crore, to hackers in 2019 to keep the internet safe. As part of the Vulnerability Reward Programs (VRPs), hackers were paid to find security flaws and bugs in Google products which includes Chrome and Android to keep end-users safe.