MOBILE, Ala. (WKRG) – Mobile Fire-Rescue Department’s Bureau of Fire Prevention urges citizens against distracted or absent cooking, even if only “for a minute.”

Between 6 p.m. and 8 p.m. Wednesday, Mobile Fire-Rescue companies were dispatched to three cooking-related fires.

According to MFRD, two of those fires were residential, one an apartment home. They say one was a working fire (Senator Street), one fire extinguished prior to MFRD arrival, and a third left a home filled with smoke. Each location was confirmed to have stemmed from the kitchen, starting as the cause of someone leaving a pot unattended, cooking on the stove. An unattended pot cooking on a stove is the leading cause of kitchen fires in residential structures.

Mobile Fire-Rescue warns grease fires can take fewer than 5 minutes to begin and even less time to grow to an uncontrollable state, spreading quickly throughout the kitchen and the rest of the home. Kitchen fires can certainly be prevented with cautious, attentive, and responsible care. Here are a few tips to follow when cooking with grease on a stove:

  • Always remain within sight of the stove and pot while the stove top is on.
  • Keep a lid nearby to cover an unruly pot of grease.
  • Have flour and/or baking soda readily available to smother a small pot fire.
  • Ensure your home has working smoke detectors/alarms. Check the operation once monthly, and change the batteries twice per year.
  • NEVER throw water on a grease fire.
  • NEVER attempt to remove a flaming grease pots from the stove. You risk personal harm/injury and spreading fire beyond the stove.
  • Ensure that you and your family have a fire safety plan in the event of smoke or fire in your home.
  • CALL 911 for all emergencies.

Having operational smoke alarms in homes have been proven to save lives and protect property through proper notification. To have a free smoke alarm installed by Mobile Fire-Rescue, please call 251-208-5555.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here