A fatal crash victim posted a selfie minutes before he was killed when his car struck a guardrail and hurtled off Interstate 80.

Richard Segovia, 44, had been driving back from Reno on Sunday morning to his home in San Leandro but the trip back to the Bay Area after a late night at casinos like Circus Circus was being done at a high rate of speed according to a witness’s account to the California Highway Patrol.

According to the Highway Patrol report, Segovia’s car — a 2000 Grand Prix — was traveling at between 85 and 90 mph before the crash as it traveled west. It was observed again as it hurtled off the highway.

Witnesses made those observations in Weimar, about 12 miles north of Auburn, and near where the crash occurred just past the Bowman exit, the Highway Patrol reported.

The last witness said the vehicle was being driven erratically and disappeared off the freeway in a burst of dust.

The crash was called in to dispatchers at 7:35 a.m. Sunday. The selfie’s Facebook posting listed the time 24 minutes earlier.

The Highway Patrol was continuing to look into the fatal crash, with toxicology tests still to come. There was no apparent sign that alcohol or drugs were involved, the Highway Patrol said.

Segovia’s car knocked out guardrails and posts before hitting a thick patch of manzanita next to the concrete wall of the overpass at Bowman, ripping out roots as it continued downhill onto the underpass connector road between Lincoln Way and Bowman Road. The car landed on its side.

According to the Highway Patrol report, Segovia was ejected from the vehicle and was pronounced dead at the scene. While it hadn’t been determined conclusively, the Highway Patrol said that it was likely that Segovia was not wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash.

Segovia’s father — also named Richard Segovia and a San Leandro resident — said he saw photos posted on his son’s Facebook page of Circus Circus in Reno. The younger Segovia had a girlfriend in Reno and he had gone to visit her and enjoy the nightlife, his father said.

“He stayed up and left early in the morning to come home,” Segovia said. “He was a great kid doing all the right things.”

The younger Segovia grew up in the Mission District of San Francisco and graduated from Mission High School in the early 1990s. He is survived by two sons, Richard Jr. 22, and Matthew, 7.





Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here